A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Friday, September 28, 2012

Fishing in the Glens of Antrim

I just spent the last week in the wonderful Glens of Antrim and manged to squeeze in a bit of sea fishing. I had hoped to fish for some sea trout around Cushendun and Cushendall bays, but due to very stormy seas the trout move out beyond my cast. Normally this time of the year the trout are quite close to the shore and can offer the angler some cracking fishing on lures and flies. So I tackled up to see if i can catch some bass, this region is not commonly known for its bass fishing but I gave five long high tides in blustery conditions and it proved to be fruitful. 
This part of the country is truly stunning and a place I recommend for all people to visit some time. For the fisher person it is a heaven for the sea and fresh water anglers, with hill loughs spotted around and spate streams making there way through the hills to the sea. I began fishing from the Cushendun beach at 5am on Tuesday morning and struggled to catch anything for quite some time, eventually I managed to come to terms with the strong gusty winds and picked up one small bass coming close to the end of the session. 
I visited the local tackle shops during the day and gathered some information and fresh bait for the evening to come, there is a good and fairly well stocked tackle shop in Ballycastle and one in Cushendall but their prices seem to be a little more than the fore mention shop. After a good rest and some work I headed back out again to a near by location close to the morning beach, the tide was just right and i baited up some rag worms and tipped the baits with some mackerel. Again the stormy seas proved to be challenging but the bass were obliging once again I picked up several nice bass weighing in around 3-4 lbs each. 
For the next two tides the results were around the same and productive enough, though on Thursday morning the wind left and the seas calmed down and with this the bass became harder to find. With a change of location and tackle I managed to pick up some nice pollack from rocks that jetted out from the rigid coast line. 
Over all   the fishing was productive enough through out the five sessions considering the conditions and I didn't manage to get any sea trout but maybe next time. This location is a must for all sea anglers the beauty and life of the coast line is breathtaking and the fishing is eventful to say the least. 



No comments:

Post a Comment