A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

FIERY BROWNS


If I was heading to the west of Ireland fishing on the great lakes like Lough Corrib, Conn or Mask I would not be going with out some of these flies tied up as I always have had good fishing on them any time of the year from the first weekend of the season to the last few days in October. The Fiery Brown fly is renowned in general to be a versatile fly through out the lough angling World. It can represent fresh water shrimp in the early part of the season, duck fly in the spring also and sedge's in the summer.
Fishing out of Ballindiff Bay a few years ago for the opening day of the season myself and my boat man Joe Trill had a cracking day landing several good trout on on the following fly. Fishing it on the point with clear fast intermediate lines the trout couldn't resist it and out on the Corrib in February meeting a few fish helped us to take our minds of the freezing wind.

Dubbing: Fiery Brown Hares dubbing mixed with some orange spectra flash 
Beard Hackle: Brown Hen Hackle
Cheeks: Jungle cock split in half and tied in on each side. 


The next dabbler dressing was on a team of flies that I fished on the Corrib in late September three years ago when I fished the national finals out of Oughterard Bay, in a high blustery wind this fly was my top dropper and attracted a lot of the trout I took that day.


Tail: Cock Pheasant 
Dubbing: Fiery Brown Hares dubbing Mixed with some orange spectra flash 
Body Hackle: Brown Hen Hackle
Under Wing: Badger Hackle Dyed orange and several strands of Hends Krystal Flash 


During a summer session on lough Mask a few years ago with my dad who was just getting over a heart operation we had fantastic fishing in a summer breeze ginking up some fiery brown bumbles and sat them out on the lake for the cruising trout to feed on, I thought that the excitement of the rising trout was going to put my dad back into the hospital.
Dubbing: Fiery Brown Hares dubbing Mixed with some orange spectra flash 
Body Hackle: Brown Hen Hackle with Badger dyed orange 
Cheeks: Sunburst Turkey Biots.
Shoulder Hackle: Partridge dyed Brown.

I do tend to add a lot of orange into my fiery brown dressings I find that it gives it a nice brightness and attraction point to the fly in dark or turned up waters when the wind is blowing up the waves. These fly's are worth tying and I give them a swim on most days when I am out on the lakes; like all my fly's they will have there good days and days when the fish just wont look at much but I do find that these patterns will produce takes when the fish tend not to look at much else. 
I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and if you have any comments or questions just drop me a line below l, also if you would like to see what post I am doing next  just sign in and follow this blog. click on any of the materials and the links will lead you to where you can find them. Thanks for reading. 



1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog and interesting about the fiery brown. Will tie a few and try on Lough leane in killarney.

    ReplyDelete