A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Friday, December 7, 2018

Restocking the boxes: Winter Tying Sessions No.2

So here is my second installment of the 'Winter Tying Sessions', this time we are looking at some of my most effective Hare's Ear patterns from the 2018 season. For me the Hares Ear nymph and it's multitude of variations have always been a very successful go to style of nymph. Growing up in the mountains of Wicklow this hare dubbed on to a hook in some form proved to be a stable lure for anglers looking to catch wild brown trout; and it is still very effective today on the rivers.
From this time growing up on the mountain river of Wicklow I have always had great confidence in using Hares Ear on my nymphs and here is a couple that have a prominent place in my fly boxes, year after year. 
Mostly the Hares Ear I use are rather heavy and I use them to search out early trout or trout that lie in deep holes. However, there is one or two I find successful hanging under a dry fly which are tied in smaller sizes. 
Nymph No.1 Hare's Ear Grub 
  
Hook: Dohiku 644 or 611 14-10 
Bead: Countersunk Tungsten 3mm-4mm
Under body: Flat Lead 2-4mm 
Thread: Fine strong silk  
Rib: Fine flat copper 
Body: Hare Ear Dubbing Natural 
Thorax (Head Dubbing): Fox Squirrel Hair mixed with UV Spectra Dubbing. 
Make sure to brush out the dubbings really well on this one.  This Nymph has to be my number one Hares Ear patteren so simple but so effective every where I go be it for Trout or Grayling. 

Nymph No 2 Soft Hackle Hare's Ear 
Hook: Dohiku Jig 18-14
Bead: Gold Slotted Tungsten Bead 3mm-4mm
Thread: Fine strong Silk 
Tail: Pearl Braid doubled over 
Rib: Fine Pearl Mylar 
Body: Hare's Ear natural dubbing 
Hackle: Natural CDC tied in at the tip and wound around nymph. 
Head Dubbing: Fox Squirrel Hair mixed with UV Spectra Dubbing. 





Nymph No 3 Hare's Ear Caddis  

Hook: Dohiku Jig 18-14
Bead: Gold, Sliver or Copper  Slotted Tungsten Bead 3mm-4mm
Thread: Fine strong Silk 
Tag: Chartreuse Tommi-fly UV reflective tying thread 
Tail: Natural Partridge  
Rib: Copper Wire or to suit bead colour 
Body: Hare's Ear natural dubbing 
Head Dubbing: Sybai fine flash dubbing 

On our next winter tying sessions we will be looking at some of my most trustworthy Pheasant Tail nymphs, make sure and check it out.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and enjoy tying these flies; if you would like to stock up your boxes for this coming year make sure and contact me through facebook or email. If you have any questions or queries please feel free to contact me. Also make sure and check out my website www.piscari-fly.com for all your tungsten beads, Dohiku barbless hooks, Tommi-fly products,the amazing Syndicate Fly Rods, Reels, leaders and much more. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment