A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Quaility streets

Getting ready for a trip to Slovenia the year before last I was trying to match some shrimp nymphs that I had seen which were supposed to be working quite well out there for the Grayling. I spent some time trying to match the back on the nymphs that I had seen with no luck using the back materials I already had. Until one day eating a sweet I discovered the perfect back material for my shrimps it was the wrapping to a quality street.
This plastic coating was perfect for what I was looking for and it was in lots of interesting colours also. After stocking up on wrappers I hit the vice and sense then I have used this backing for many of my nymphs with great success. Here is a step by step of the tying of a quality street shrimp.

Firstly using a grub hook to your size a b100 or a partridge YK4A tie on some flat lead on its edge in two sections to form the shape of the nymph.

Then take some fine flat lead and wrap the body in the same, tie off the thread as normal and coat the under body in superglue and allow to set fully. 


Using a bull clip take your sweet wrapper and pinch the required width for your back and cut off by sliding a sharp blade along the bull clip. The wrapper can be any colour you wish to match the body.


Tie in some orange partridge as a tail and trap down your backing and some brown mono to act as the rib. Then create a dubbing brush with your thread and spin some dubbing I use three shades of orange spetra dubbing here.
Wind up the dubbing brush and tie of at the head, then brush down all the dubbing using a tooth brush with the bristles cut short.

Pull the wrapper over the back of the fly and secure it in, follow this by ribbing the nymph tightly with even spaces to create the segmented look on the shrimp. only once you have ribbed the fly should you cut away the waste wrapping.

Before you finish the fly add in some more fibers of orange partridge to the head and tie off the fly. Once your head cement has set then brush down all the dubbing again and trim off to the required length under the nymph and last using a black marker gently put some molting on the back of the nymph to help create the natural look the the fly. 

It is very important to keep the tying of this fly slim in the profile which allows it to penetrate fast into the deep water and pockets, using the shuffling approach while wading this fly will catch a lot of fish for you and try it in many other colours too and sizes. 
I regularly use materials that I have found that is not sold as tying and they can range from crisp bags, onion bags wrappers for cheese what ever it is once it gives me desired look and dose not break down in the water is good enough for me and the fish I catch, so don't be afraid to keep your eyes open and find some good stuff in strange places and enjoy the sweets. 
I hope you enjoy reading this post and if you have any comments or questions on any of the patterens just drop me a line below, also you can sign in and follow us. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment