A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Summer Sedge Fishing

Over the last few evenings I have been out on the rivers doing some dry fly-fishing in the evenings. I have been working on some new leader formulas to suit my 2 weight Syndicate rod with some really fine tippets. 
I have been getting some good success on this sedge dressing fishing smaller sizes before dark and larger ones once the light has gone down. 
It is a simple dressing that is well worth a go and sits lovely in the water. 

To begin place a Dohiku 301 size 16, 18 or 20 in the vice and tie on your thread. For the tail I use three strands of hot orange UV reflective thread from Tommi Fly. Once you tie them in cut to your desired length. Taking you thread split it and add in a mix of natural hares ear dubbing and some natural squirrel, then spin the thread to create your dubbing brush. For the thread I use my silk that is super strong and easy to split. It also gives the body of the fly great strength. You can check it out on my website. 


Wind up your dubbing brush and pull back the fibers of the dubbing mix. Then select 3 small natural CDC feathers and place them directly on top of each other. Tie them in to create your wing. 


To finish off your fly create a smaller dubbing brush at the head of the fly and after one or two winds on the hook use the dubbing brush to complete the whip finish so no thread is showing. To secure the head I normally place a small drop of superglue under the dubbing brush. A simple but very effective sedge that will catch you plenty of fish this time of the year. 

I hope you enjoy tying this sedge fly and enjoy catching fish with it even more. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a shout on my contact details and if you are interested in hooks, beads, or the amazing Syndicate Fly Rods then check them out on my website. Thanks for reading. 

1 comment: