A FLY FISHING AND FLY TYING BLOG FOR ALL PASSIONATE ANGLERS TO ENJOY THIS EVER CHANGING AND DEVELOPING SPORT

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Woven Nymphs

A good few years ago when some Polish friends came to Ireland to visit our river in Wicklow, they also showed me how to do weaving on nymphs. Sense then I have done very little and probably should have practiced more because this style of tying is very effective and the nymphs do produce good catches. Last year with all the high water in the rivers late in the season I was messing around on the vice and I tied some of these woven nymphs. They proved to be very good in the dark post flood water and a selection will be tied and fished for the upcoming season. 
With the aid of you tube it is fairly easy to discover the method of weaving but where I fell down a lot was the materials used to weave correctly, the different flosses or wool's were either to heavy or not compatible with each other and just didn't look right. I then used Glo Brite for the under body and I used stretched cassette tape  for the back and they look really great on the hook, the Glo Brite under body really stands out in the dark water and gives the fish something to really attack when visibility is poor. The back has a lovely shine and the materials weave well together.
These nymphs are tied on B100's, either size 10/12 with a 3mm gold tungsten bead followed by some turns of flat lead behind the bead. The thorax is a turn of the under-body colour in Hends micro flash dubbing and some hair plucked from the skin of a hare or squirrel would probably do the same job. I will spend some time over Christmas practicing weaving and I am looking forward to giving these cracking looking nymphs a good swim next season. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment